If you didn’t know it by now, digital-first business practices have moved from experiment to booming reality.
Of course, if the letters C-I-O appear beside your name on your business card, you already knew that.
But what are your fellow CIOs seeing on the horizon for 2019? What do your counterparts believe are the best ways of building a solid foundation for digital business? Gartner recently polled more than 3,000 CIOs to get a sense of their priorities, and what they consider vital to a successful digital transformation.
The results suggest that CIOs are looking for improved consumer engagement, faster delivery of digital products and a sound, secure foundation of information and technology.
Continue below to see the key takeaways from the CIOs who were polled for Gartner's 2019 CIO Agenda.
- Digital-fueled growth: Digital initiatives and revenue/business growth are neck-and-neck as the top organizational priorities in 2019.
- Change as a constant: It’s not what you sell, it’s how you sell. Nearly half of the CIOs polled say their company’s business model has already begun changing; staying active in business transformation discussions is paramount.
- Consumer is king: The vast majority of frontrunners look at consumer metrics, rather than internal metrics, as indicators of success, and measure the ROI of their digital investments.
- An eye on cybercrime: Nearly all CIOs believe cybercrime threats will grow in 2019—no surprise there. When it came to ultimate accountability, more CIOs pointed at themselves than anyone else.
- Product, not project: More than half of organizations say they’re moving from project to product delivery, believing this results in quicker, higher-quality business outcomes, increased customer satisfaction, and greater employee engagement.
- Driving disruption: Artificial Intelligence (AI) was tops among technology options in 2019 for 45% of CIOs, but success doesn’t come without significant resource investment.
How do these priorities stack up against yours?
It’s worth noting that IT is considered “very important” or “extremely important” to business model change by nearly all CIOs polled. Digitalization is a top priority for private and public-sector organizations alike so take stock of what others in the industry are focused on for 2019.
If your organization doesn't have a CIO, Graycon can help. Our virtual CIOs give you the expertise and leadership required to navigate the changing world of IT.
Start the new year off right with an IT Roadmap expertly designed and customized for your business by one of Graycon's qualified vCIOs.